My first book tag, how exciting! I found this one over at Aquaventus, but I’m not sure who the original host is. If anyone knows, please leave a comment for me!
5 Books You Love
I decided that with Halloween right around the corner, I’d pick 5 of my favorite horror books. These might not all be “scary”, but they are dark and give off spooky vibes.
- What Moves the Dead by T. Kingfisher – A gothic and dark retelling of The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allen Poe.
- World War Z by Max Brooks – An oral history of the zombie war. Has a stellar cast on audiobook.
- The Shining by Stephen King – A frightening tale about the family stuck at the Overlook Hotel and their struggle to stay sane and survive the winter.
- Devolution by Max Brooks – A first hand account of the Rainier Sasquatch massacre following the eruption of Mount Rainier.
- The Terror by Dan Simmons – Historical Fiction tale about the 1845 Franklin Expedition to locate the fabled Northwest Passage, and the thing that hunts them on the ice.
4 Auto-Buy Authors
- Jim Butcher – My husband is a huge Jim Butcher fan and I’m (slowly) working my way through the Dresden Files. We own all his work, except maybe 1 or 2 books that are on the To-Buy List. Anything new, we pick up!
- Terry Goodkind – I own all of Terry Goodkind’s work. While not all his books were amazing (I’m looking at you The Nicci Chronicles…), the world he created was. I guess I won’t be buying anymore of his books (Rest In Peace Terry), but when he was still publishing them, I always bought them right away.
- Charlaine Harris – I just love her work. The Sookie Stackhouse series is one of my all time favorites and everything else I’ve read of hers has been spectacular.
- JR Ward – I went through a phase of reading vampire romance books about 10 years ago. Now I own all of JR Ward’s books so whenever a new one comes out, I’ve got to pick it up… even if reading it right away is not on my TBR. At this point, having an incomplete set would be irritating. I’m in too deep.
3 Favorite Genres
- Fantasy – I first fell in love with reading in the fantasy world of Harry Potter and never quite left. The majority of what I read and have on my shelves are fantasy books. As I get older, my interests have broadened, but I always come back here for good comfort reads.
- Sci-fi – This is a mostly new category for me (within the last 3 years). My husband introduced it to me with Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton but I really fell for the genre with Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir and most recently the space opera Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio.
- Horror – I’ve always had a soft spot for horror. Some of my earliest reads as a teen were Stephen King books. I’ve started to prefer reading horror this year and am looking forward to new finds I’ve got on my TBR.
2 Places You Read
- In bed – I spend most of my reading time propped up in various positions in bed. It’s the most comfortable place in our apartment and also the most secluded for quiet reading time. Once I get a reading chair, I’m sure I’ll move to the living room on occasion!
- Kitchenette at work – When I don’t have a lunch date (my sister), I’m usually able to read for a bit during my lunch break. The kitchenette is not quiet and people always want to chat, but I can occasionally squeeze in a few pages as I chow down.
1 Book You Promise To Read Soon
I have put this book off for way too long. It’s actually embarrassing at this point. I started reading the Dresden files in 2019 and have not made it past book 13 in the last 3 (almost 4) years. I should have caught up with the series by now… What have I been doing with my life? No excuses.
I promise to read this book by the end of 2022!
Feel free to keep the book tag going!
If you want to get notified of all my book tag posts, be sure to subscribe!